Home > Information for Academic Credit Programs > Analytical Principles in Pharmaceutical Science
Certificate in Analytical Principles of Pharmaceutical Science
This graduate-level certificate program has been developed for employees working in pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device manufacturing companies and those dealing with drug characterization and purity. The certificate covers the analytical and physical chemistry needed to understand purity and composition issues in pharmaceutical substances. The courses cover the principles behind the common kinds of analytical methods and how they are applied in practical settings. Students will gain an enhanced understanding of the applicability of technical knowledge in analytical principles as related to pharmaceutical science.
Lehigh University provides you with the tools you need to be successful with our Certificate in Analytical Principles of Pharmaceutical Science.
Four courses (12 credits for credit participation) are required to complete this certificate and students will take any four of the following for certificate completion (courses may be taken in any order)
Students will take any four (12 credits for credit participation or equivalent for non-credit) of the following courses to complete either the credit or non-credit certificate requirements. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken at the 300 level. [NOTE: No course may be applied to more than one certificate].
- *Elements of Biochemistry I (Chemistry 371)
- Elements of Biochemistry II (Chemistry 372)
- *Clinical Chemistry (Chemistry 336)
- Contemporary Topics in Analytical Chemistry (Chemistry 431)
- Chemometrics (Chemistry 432)
- Special Topics in Analytical Chemistry (Chemistry 436)
- *Analytical Chemistry (Chemistry 438)
- Spectral Analysis (Chemistry 456)
- Advanced Topics in Chemistry (Chemistry 475)
*Note: Any one of these courses is suggested as a starting point in the program.
- Students may begin the courses at the start of any semester period – Summer/Fall/Spring
- Courses are offered on a semester-based timeframe
- There is no residency requirement
- Applicants should possess a BS or BA in chemistry or biochemistry; or a minimum of 2 semesters of general chemistry with associated labs, 2 semesters of organic chemistry with associated labs, and at least two upper level chemistry courses.
- Students taking courses for credit are responsible for arranging for an independent proctor for examinations. Proctoring may be done by an employee of an academic institution or library, or by HR or other company official. The proctor may not be related to or affiliated with the student in any way. Proctoring eligibility will be verified by Lehigh’s Office of Distance Education.
This certificate program is available either for Credit or Professional Continuing Education participation. Choose the learning option you prefer based on your career needs and academic goals. Lehigh University’s commitment to academic excellence ensures your education experience will prepare you for the challenges you face in today’s dynamic work environment.
Prospective students wishing to pursue this certificate for credit will apply for Non-Degree admission intended for applicants wishing to take up to twelve credit hours of graduate-level study without seeking a degree.
Upon successful completion of the required courses, students will receive a Certificate of Completion and the courses will be listed on an official Lehigh University transcript.
Credit Program Advisor: Professor Rebecca Miller, (610) 758-3676, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Completed Certificate to Master’s Degree:
M.S. in Chemistry – For students wishing to continue and complete requirements for an M.S. in Chemistry, all courses listed for the certificate may be applied toward requirements for the degree-track program*.
*Students must complete additional degree-track admission requirements and have successfully completed the courses in the certificate with grades of B- or higher. In addition, the program advisor will conduct a phone interview with the prospective student to determine student’s academic preparedness and to ensure student has sufficient background courses/knowledge to be successful in a degree-track program. Acceptance into a degree program is not guaranteed and applicants must meet all admissions standards and requirements.
Professional Continuing Education (PCE): For students wishing to pursue this certificate for non-credit (professional development). After completion of four required courses, participants will be issued a Certificate of Completion.
- Are not matriculated at Lehigh University
- Do not submit work for evaluation
- Do not receive Lehigh University credits in any form
- Do not generate a Lehigh University transcript
- Will receive a Certificate of Completion
PCE participation simply requires completion and submission of the Online Professional Continuing Education Registration and Payment form.
For credit or non-credit participation, this program may be taken either by Classroom LIVE and Classroom Online.
Classroom LIVE, an integrated, web-based virtual environment that delivers graduate programs in real time from classrooms on Lehigh's campus to students, in their homes, at their workplaces, or while traveling.
Clasroom Online, an asynchronous online format that offers flexible scheduling and participation.
For a detailed description of our delivery systems, please refer to the delivery methods page.