Home > Information for Academic Credit Programs > Certificate in BioOrganic Principles of Pharmaceutical Science
Certificate in BioOrganic Principles of Pharmaceutical Science
This graduate-level certificate program has been developed for employees working in pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device manufacturing companies and those dealing with drug discovery and evaluation. The certificate covers the basic biochemical molecular principles governing drug design, synthesis, mode of action at biological targets, formulation, and metabolism. Students will gain enhanced knowledge regarding bioorganic principles related to pharmaceutical science.
Credit and Professional Continuing Education options are available. Students will take any four (12 credits for credit participation or equivalent for non-credit) of the following courses to complete either the credit or non-credit certificate requirements. A maximum of 6 credits may be taken at the 300 level. [NOTE: No course may be applied to more than one certificate]
- *Elements of Biochemistry I (Chemistry 371)
- Elements of Biochemistry II (Chemistry 372)
- BioOrganic Chemistry (Chemistry 423)
- Medicinal & Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Chemistry 424)
- *Advanced Organic Chemistry (Chemistry 452)
- Organic Reactions (Chemistry 455)
- Topics in Organic Chemistry (Chemistry 458)
- Advanced Topics in Chemistry (Chemistry 475)
- Topics in Biochemistry (Chemistry 477)
- Process Chemistry (Chemistry 497)
*Note: Either one of these courses is suggested as a starting point in the program.
- Students may begin the courses at the start of any semester period – Summer/Fall/Spring
- Course are offered in a semester-based timeframe
- There is no residency requirement
- Recommended background: Students should possess a BS or BA in chemistry or biochemistry; or a minimum of two semesters of general chemistry with associated labs, two semesters of organic chemistry with associated labs, and at least two upper level chemistry courses.
- Students taking courses for credit are responsible for arranging for an independent proctor for examinations. Proctoring may be done by an employee of an academic institution or library, or by HR or other company official. The proctor may not be related to or affiliated with the student in any way. Proctoring eligibility will be verified by Lehigh’s Office of Distance Education.
- Prospective students wishing to pursue this certificate for credit will apply for Non- Degree admission that is intended for applicants wishing to take up to twelve credit hours of graduate-level study without seeking a degree.
- Upon successful completion of the required courses, students will receive a Certificate of Completion and the courses will be listed on an official Lehigh University transcript.
- Credit Program Advisor: Professor Rebecca Miller, (610) 758-3676, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed Certificate to Master’s Degree:
M.S. in Chemistry – For students wishing to continue and complete requirements for an M.S. in Chemistry (online and satellite programs), all courses listed for the certificate may be applied toward requirements for the degree-track program*.
*Students must complete additional degree-track admission requirements and have successfully completed the courses in the certificate with grades of B- or higher. In addition, the program advisor will conduct a phone interview with the prospective student to determine student’s academic preparedness and to ensure student has sufficient background courses/knowledge to be successful in a degree-track program. Acceptance into a degree program is not guaranteed and applicants must meet all admissions standards and requirements.
Professional Continuing Education (PCE): For students wishing to pursue this certificate for non-credit (professional continuing education). After completion of four required courses, participants will be issued a Certificate of Completion.
- Are not matriculated at Lehigh University
- Do not submit work for evaluation
- Do not receive Lehigh University credits in any form
- Do not generate a Lehigh University transcript
- Will receive a Certificate of Completion
PCE participation simply requires completion and submission of the LESN-Online Professional Continuing Education Registration and Payment form.